Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Back to the '60's....

Back to the '60's....
Today, I weep.
Today, I watched a nation divided. A nation wounded and bleeding.
I was lost as the news reel of my mind did a rewind...
I remembered...
The picketers outside of our downtown Woolworth's... wanting the right to sit at the soda fountain with me... a Southern Gal...
Hearing shots and running down the street as a young 16 old girl....wanting to observe, to know, to understand, to care.... as the National Guardsmen stopped the Blacks from entering our all white rec center....
Standing aside as the National Guardsmen ushered in the first two black students into our all white high school...
I remember stopping traffic and how angry and fearful my Mother had been with me the afternoon I accepted the kind offer of a fellow black student's umbrella over me as I left a department store on a rainy day and walked towards home...
It WAS dangerous...but perhaps my youth and for sure my strong sense of fairness and sincerity guided me..
I grew up in the deep South in the hot bed of the Civil Rights movement. I knew/know all about prejudices. I had/have a lot to learn.
Today...50 long years later...America is still bleeding, still divided. This is not a political statement. This is sorrow.
Sorrow for all Americans. Today, I weep....
God heal our land, heal our hearts. God awaits.....
Return America.....
Today, I pray.....

No comments: