Friday, March 8, 2013

Missing Mama


I'm sitting here, eating my instant grits and lost in thought....

I'll never eat instant grits without thinking of Mama. Actually, there are frequent moments that warm my heart with fond memories.

For several years, before Mama got too bad, she lived in her 35 foot camper, just off my deck. We had a monitor as well as phone line connected, so we were within quick call.

The morning routine before leaving for my 45 minute commute to work, included Mama.  A bowl of instant grits, her morning meds, her hot cup of coffee, the morning paper.... I would open her locked door and enter the little haven. She would sit up in her bed, stretchhhhhhhh, yawn, and always smile, "Morning, Sweet Thing..." was her greeting. After I placed her breakfast by her bed, she would give me a tight hug.  I would open her blinds. My car was bumped closely there, and I could see her silhouetted good-bye wave, as I drove away.

I miss those days. Buying her lollipops at the Dollar Store, planting flowers in the spring, winter cozy moments...

Yesterday my sweet daughter took "her Mama" to the doctors.  She helped me in, took care of my insurance, filled out the papers, answered the questions. As I slipped my insurance cards from my wallet, I did a deja vu...  Memories of doing all this for Mama flooded my mind.

The journey moves on.  I cherish every moment of caring for our dear Mama.  I cherish every moment of my daughter caring for me.

63 isn't a "bad" age. It's all part of the carousel of life.  I'm so glad for the windows through which I watch my family. They are very dear to me.   I'm so blessed...all because of Him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL. JOJAN