Friday, April 18, 2014

A Day to Remember

Our day started well. We were blessed to have prayer with a friend over the speaker phone.

Jon surprised me with his desire to visit a good friend in the hospital. This friend has serious physical struggles. He was such an encouragement to Jon when Jon was so very bad. Since Jon is "getting" better, I was a little reluctant to push too far. I figured I'd wait and see how he would continue to feel.

I got busy in the kitchen making us a "Jack Sprat" spaghetti pie. Remember the poor nursery rhyme characters? Poor ole Jack could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean.... When my blood work came back this week with my cholesterol was once again sky high, I knew I couldn't keep pretending any more. Jon is diabetic but his cholesterol is awesome! So cooking in itself is challenging. Thus a two sided pie....Jack's and his fat wife's................ His with meat and regular cheeses, mine with practically no meat and fat free ingredients.

Just as I popped it into the oven, Jon decides he does indeed want to go visiting. Out comes the pie and into the fridge...

Nothing gets boring around here! We laugh a lot... We HAVE to laugh a lot! Just as Jon stepped out of the shower I let out a blood curdling scream and dance around screaming, "It's the Tallaban!" When I had stuck my hand into my drawer and pulled out a garment, I put my hand on what felt and appeared to be the granddaddy of all slugs. It was wet! It was cold! It was slimy! It was big! Jon had missed one of his pain patches and it had obviously gone through the wash and adhered to my clothes. Whew! What a relief!

God was with me as I ran stopped at couple of places. I made it quickly through check out, found awesome bread at the Dollar Tree, found a close parking spot!!

On to the hospital. Let Jon out at the door(he insisted on unloading his walker himself) and parked in the parking garage. I knew that was going to be quite a walk for me. Once again, God blessed me with a spot the closest to the hospital. I found Jon and we made it up to the 6th floor.

We were so blessed with our visit with Stephen and Missy. Jon went to encourage them, but we came away so encouraged as well!

When we came out, I intended to drive around and pick up Jon, but he wanted to push his walker over to the rehab and visit the kind staff there. It was a beautiful glorious day! As we walked along, it felt so good, so normal! It was Jon's first time out other than to church twice. How we rejoiced. His friends there were so pleased to see him.

We headed home. We found such joy in the blooming dogwoods, redbuds, azaleas, etc. Even the trees seem to glow. When Jon was recovering we kept saying that when we got well, we were going to our great seafood restaurant, Skippers. As we made our way closer to home Jon said, "Honey, you want to go to Skippers?" I was rather surprised, it had been a very long day. But he was so happy to be out and feeling better. I agreed. Then Jon realized his oxygen was almost out, so we had to swing by the house, get a fresh tank, feed the dog and let her out! Whew!!

We finally made it there just as they were opening(it's very close to home). What a lovely beautiful time we had. Together! Doing what normal folks do! Happy, oh, so happy!

Maybe this post will bore you, if so, that's okay. But I've written post over the last few months filled with pain, suffering, stress, confusion, and faith. It just feels so good to have a day like this!

The topper..... although an oxygen tank in one hand and a cane in the other, sweet Hubs insisted on opening the doors for me! It felt so good to him! He was taking care of me!!!!

Thank you, Jesus!!!! How very good you are to us!!!

PS: Even a wonderful happy day can wear you out!!! Headed to bed, this Chick's had it!!!
Post a Comment